Inquiry Based Learning in a Multiage Classroom
I recently started working in a multi age, inquiry based classroom teaching visual art. It has been challenging my ideas and thinking of what it means to educate a child. How do I make inquiry central to what is happening in our classroom?? This has been the nagging question sitting at the back of my mind for the last year. Added to this as all art teachers know we have a curriculum to cover. A curriculum that is quite extensive and specific. Knowing this has made it even more of a conundrum for me. Not to mention the fact that I only have each class for one hour per week.
I suppose an important starting point is my own interpretation about what an inquiry based classroom means. My understanding is encouraging students to be self-directed and follow their lines of inquiry and interest while acquiring the skills, techniques and processes involved in the learning. As this link shows inquiry based learning is complex and my version is very simplified. http://www.kathmurdoch.com.au/index.php?id=7\
One idea I encourage is to provide students with visual art diaries with the expectation that they will use these to follow their avenues of interest. For instance if we have been working with textiles students may decide to use their diaries to create a picture made with textiles. Another way I have tried to encourage inquiry is getting students to fill in idea bubbles at the start of a unit of work with questions related to the subject matter. As we work through the content of the unit we answer our inquiry questions as use them as a guide for what we study. I have also focused on thinking skills specifically looking at the thinkers keys http://www.thinkerskeys.com/ when we are investigating a unit of work. Focusing on independent thinking and also transferral of the acquired skills.
Any Ideas to add?? I would be interested in what you have been doing if you are an art teacher.
I recently started working in a multi age, inquiry based classroom teaching visual art. It has been challenging my ideas and thinking of what it means to educate a child. How do I make inquiry central to what is happening in our classroom?? This has been the nagging question sitting at the back of my mind for the last year. Added to this as all art teachers know we have a curriculum to cover. A curriculum that is quite extensive and specific. Knowing this has made it even more of a conundrum for me. Not to mention the fact that I only have each class for one hour per week.
I suppose an important starting point is my own interpretation about what an inquiry based classroom means. My understanding is encouraging students to be self-directed and follow their lines of inquiry and interest while acquiring the skills, techniques and processes involved in the learning. As this link shows inquiry based learning is complex and my version is very simplified. http://www.kathmurdoch.com.au/index.php?id=7\
One idea I encourage is to provide students with visual art diaries with the expectation that they will use these to follow their avenues of interest. For instance if we have been working with textiles students may decide to use their diaries to create a picture made with textiles. Another way I have tried to encourage inquiry is getting students to fill in idea bubbles at the start of a unit of work with questions related to the subject matter. As we work through the content of the unit we answer our inquiry questions as use them as a guide for what we study. I have also focused on thinking skills specifically looking at the thinkers keys http://www.thinkerskeys.com/ when we are investigating a unit of work. Focusing on independent thinking and also transferral of the acquired skills.
Any Ideas to add?? I would be interested in what you have been doing if you are an art teacher.
No comments:
Post a Comment